What Are Cannabis Topicals & How Do You Use Them?
Cannabis topicals are cannabis products that are intended to be applied directly to your skin. They will not work if you eat them and are formulated to be non-intoxicating, meaning they will not get you high. Above all, cannabis topicals are used mostly for medical purposes to help with a number of symptoms.
Cannabis topicals are made by infusing cannabis to a carrier oil which is then applied to the skin. Common cosmetic carrier oils include coconut oil, beeswax, olive oil, grapeseed oil and more. Types of topicals include:
- Creams & Lotions
- Oils & Serums
- Bath Salts, Bath Bombs, Etc.
- Transdermal Patches
How Do They Work?
Humans have our own internal endocannabinoid systems that we use to maintain homeostasis. In addition, this system also allows us to process cannabinoids through a network of receptors. CB1 and CB2 receptors are found in the cells and nerves of our skin. When a topical is applied, its cannabinoids will bind to the receptors in our skin cells to fight inflammation and provide local pain relief, along with other effects. They usually take about 30 minutes to be absorbed, but can sometimes take up to an hour.
What Are Cannabis Topicals’ Benefits?
- Clear Up Acne — A study by the National Library of Medicine showed that the vitamins and other components of weed may help reduce acne.
- Improve the Appearance of Scarring — Although cannabis topicals are not able to reverse UV sun damage, they may help reduce the appearance of scars to keep skin looking younger.
- Reduce Migraine & Headaches — Additionally, cannabis in all forms has been proven to help reduce headaches and migraine symptoms.
- Eczema & Psoriasis Itching — Topical cannabis products high in CBD have anti-itch properties.
- Increased Sexual Pleasure — In general, research has shown using weed in all forms helps to improve sexual pleasure. Several weed oil products are available on the market for use as sexual lubes.
- Wound Healing — Marijuana topicals can aid in the healing of wounds and help to reduce their pain.
- Local Pain Treatment — Conclusively, consumers with conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis have noted a reduction in muscle and joint pain from use of topical cannabis products.
Visit Smyth Cannabis Co. For Topicals & More
Smyth Cannabis Co. Recreational Dispensary offers high quality flower, pre-rolls, edibles, concentrates, topicals and more. Our friendly budtenders will help you pick a topical cannabis product best suited for both your needs and your budget. Visit us today at our Lowell, MA dispensary to learn more about our lab tested cannabis products. You can also check out our menu for a list of in-stock options.